Giants fans, I hope you are excited the season is almost here.
All that we've been hearing recently is how bad the Giants are going to be and they should expect a six win season at best.
If you have been a Giants fan for any kind of time you know the Giants do not like to win when they are supposed to but when they have no expectations they like to prove people wrong, they are best when they are the underdogs.
Giants fans, know for the most part they don't have a controversial team, they are professional and just do what they are supposed to do. So Giants don’t get pumped up by ESPN or other sports networks because Eli Manning is talking a big game to other teams.
The Giants don’t have expectations but fans do have positives that they all can look forward to this season.
1. Overhauled secondary.On paper, this is one of the best groups in recent memory and they will just get better with experience with one another. DRC, Walter Thurmond and Prince Amukamara. Big Blue has three legitimate number one corners with solid depth behind them.
2. Linebacker corp with talent.We all know Jon Beason is solid and gave the Giants a huge boost after the trade last year. He will supposedly be back by Week 1 so the middle is covered. Jamal Mcclain is a proven player and can play multiple positions. Jacquian Williams is one the best linebackers in coverage in the league and he has made strides to have a more, well-balanced game. Devon Kennard has been a pleasant surprise showing the intelligence to be a versatile player along multiple positions in the linebacker corp in his rookie season.
3. Defensive Front with a good mix of talent and experience.Prediction: Damonte Moore will have a breakout season and be the next great Giant DE. Fans are holding out Jason Pierre-Paul will be get back in to form or there is a chance that this will be his last year being a Giant. Jonathon Hankins will fill-in nicely for the departed Linval Joseph and maybe even an upgrade. (especially if Joseph supposedly played last year with an injury) Cullen Jenkins is a solid player and consistent. There is also depth with Akeem Ayers, Mathias Kiwanuka (who might be starting at the beginning of the season) Mike Patterson, Markus Kuhn and Jay Bromley.
4. This Defense is just getting used to each other.Now we all know how many new people are on the team so this Defense is just scratching the surface of their potential.
5.Eli.Manning is still in his prime, he is still a two-time Super Bowl MVP and winner. Enough said. (Relax people the preseason is the just that, it doesn’t count. You have to work through the problems in a new system).
6. The running game is going back to old school Giants football.I grew up with the Giants running the ball with the occasional pass and they just pounded teams into submission. (Are we going to get to that point, probably not) But Rashad Jennings and Andre Williams are going to carry this offense this season.
7. Talent in the receiving corp.Victor Cruz is proven. Rueben Randle has shown glimpses and hopefully he is taking that next step forward. Odell Beckham Jr. will eventually play..Corey Washington all he does is score touchdowns and he is the only big receiver. But there is talent across the board and it will be used but it will be playing off our running game unlike last year where Giants had no running game, which will make it better.
Now for two Major questions going into this season:
1. Offensive Line:Now this group has not been together long at all and they are learning but I think they're going in the right direction. They are definitely run blocking well and I have seen times where the passing blocking was fair.
2. Tight end position.All I can say is I hope they can block when they are supposed to and the few times that they will get passes just try to catch the damn ball.
10 predictions for this season:
1. 10 win season
2. NFC East Champs
3. Defense will lead the NFL in Interceptions
4. Eli will have 10 or less interceptions this season
5. Damonte Moore leads the team in sacks (which could be a bad thing for JPP)
6. Rueben Randle leads the team in all receiving categories
7. Jon Beason will be a Pro Bowler
8. Weston Richburg will keep the starting LG position even if Schwartz comes back
9. The Giants will be in the Top 5 in the league in rushing
10. Odell Beckman Jr. will play sometime this season